Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Refreshed Energy = New Designs

Inspiration and renewed energy for artists and designers can strike anytime, anywhere! (It can also bugger off for days, months and longer unfortunately)

I've not had any creative energy to design for many months (I think moving to the other side of the world and having a computer that crashed every few minutes didn't help!) But all of a sudden, out of the blue and on a really miserable day when I had received a devastating work e mail, full of tears and feeling like the biggest failure on the planet, I suddenly wanted to design, design, design. And I'm loving being back. Designing patterns for me can turn a truly bad day into something beautiful and that day did just that for me.



Since starting this surface pattern design path I keep on hearing the same thing again and again; you need to find your "signature style" I took that as having to find a style that was totally different to everyone else; out there, wild, unique.... So that's what I did. I designed my heart out and forced myself to be as different as I could.

And that my dear friends is where I believe I went totally wrong. I forced the design process instead of letting it flow and come naturally. I'm not saying that my designs were awful, far from it. I just don't think they were truly "me"

So now with my renewed energy, I'm back and I'm back with a new attitude; to relax, enjoy and design in a way that makes ME happy, joyful and to not worry if my work looks like others. I'm thinking and hoping the more I design, the more my work will become truly "me"

Here are a few designs that I have been working on this week. My new years resolution is to complete a collection per week!! Gulp!! There you go, I've set the gauntlet now, who's joining me? :)






No comments:

Post a Comment